Join the Fulfillment Fund community of mentors!
Each year the Fulfillment Fund Mentor Program shapes the lives of hundreds of young people. While there are many opportunities to volunteer with our organization, mentoring provides a direct avenue to create a meaningful impact by making a nominal investment of time. Our Mentor Program provides the necessary structure for success in a mentor/mentee relationship; staff support, extensive training and amazing volunteers all play a role in our success.
What Makes Us Unique?
- One-on-One Support: Each student-mentor team is assigned a case manager to professionally support their relationship and who will check in once a month to troubleshoot any issues that arise.
- Access to College Counseling: As early as ninth grade, students, their parents and the mentor will meet with a college counselor to create a college plan, review graduation requirements and ensure students are college eligible by the time they enter the 12th grade.
- Workshops and College Visits: Every year, the Fulfillment Fund hosts numerous events to cultivate the college-going culture among our students, including college visit trips throughout California.
Fulfillment Fund Mentor Checklist:
- 24 years of age or older
- Able to pass a criminal background check
- Possess reliable transportation
- Able to commit to being matched with their student for a minimum of 2 years
- Able to meet with their student once per month on their own schedule
- Interested in helping a student achieve higher education
- Open to learning more about themselves through the mentoring program!
Steps to becoming a Fulfillment Fund mentor:
- Complete our one-on-one mentor application.
- Meet with a Fulfillment Fund staff member for an interview.
- Attend our Initial Mentor Training session, held one day each month.
- Complete the criminal background check and screening process.
Within two weeks of attending an initial mentor training and completing the background check, we will contact you with a profile of a student that our staff has selected as a match for you. We will then coordinate a matching meeting at the student’s home for you, the student and his or her parent or guardian. The matching process is facilitated by your Mentor Program Advisor (MPA) who will serve as your case manager for the duration of your mentoring relationship.
Interested in a mentor's perspective? Read an interview with Fulfillment Fund Mentor, Frank Hsu!
Ready to take a step toward being a Fulfillment Fund mentor?